Saturday, June 27, 2009

Queens


Recently I had a dream job house sitting a beautiful home in what I like to call Paradise. I was there for a month and every day, every hour of every day, was surreal in its perfection.
There wasn't a spot that wasn't peaceful and magical in its ability to induce relaxation. It was a very good month.
The home was designed for entertaining (be still my heart!) and the owners encouraged me to do just that.
I had friends and family over for dinners on the patio mostly. The patio was warm and inviting with a view stretching over 26 acres of wooded perfection. This Golden Chain tree was the star of the show though and everyday I watched with amazement as it grabbed the sun at different angles and displayed its golden beauty.

Leaving, was always an effort. It was like being on vacation for a month. I did make my way out to the solstice parade in Fremont where I encountered these lovely "queens" who seemed to have fashioned their elaborate gowns from newspaper print. They were a royal sight to behold!

Later I hosted a solstice party for a few close friends (making sure to invite those who play musical instruments).
We stayed warm with an outdoor roaring fire against a chilly first evening of the summer.


There was food of course! There was wine and there was plenty of laughter and music too.




There wasn't a fancy menu for this event. We made brats and salads and appetizers. Nothing highbrow or pretentious. It was about celebrating the company of others. I count friendships as my richest commodity. Time in paradise was appreciated and certainly enjoyed but time with friends (anywhere) is really life's treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment