Saturday, August 1, 2009

A Gathering of Different Lights

No food pictures today. No dinners, no snarky weather-related remarks, just a quiet church situated in an urban paradise.
I visited the Chapel of St. Igatatius on the Seattle University campus today. I had heard downright ethereal descriptions of its architechtural design. Truly, it's a piece of art and so much more.
Architect Steven Holl's concept of "a gathering of different lights" is a metaphor describing Seattle University's misson of educating the whole person, to professional formation, and to empowering leaders for a just and humane world. Steven Holl makes me wish I were an architect.


I couldn't help but feel slightly irreverent each time the sound effects on my digital camera made the "shutter" noise. I couldn't stop myself from trying to capture the essence of this sanctuary in bits and pieces and small frames. It was impossible to do.

Let me start at the beginning. Approaching the chapel there is a reflecting pool and a bell tower.





As we approached the entry I asked my friend to place her hand on the door before I snapped the picture.


Then I read that Holl commented, "Doors are the place where you touch the building. They are something special... the portal, the threshold." That made me shiver. The doors are different sizes. One large representing a ceremonial entrance and the smaller more of a private feel. Both are constructed of hand-carved Alaskan yellow cedar and are accented with reddened bronze. There are seven glass lenses set into the door at different angles and they radiate light throughout the day.

From inside:
From outside:



Upon entering I was struck by the silence. There were other people in the chapel but no sound. Perhaps this is why my camera suddenly sounded like a jackhammer.
And why I felt I was being scolded.

I think this is Latin for "shush up your camera shutter".

I was so intrigued by a small room called the Blessed Sacrament Chapel. Of course I took in everything visually before I read the literature. Later I discovered that the walls are coated with beeswax and the "prayers" that I found embedded in the walls are made of gold leaf.
The room contains a Madrona tree which reaches up towards the light and holds a beautiful amber glass candle lamp. The tree, says the literature, symbolizes the struggle of life.



Throughout the chapel the shadows and glow of natural light that is cast across the angles create the very ethereal descriptions that were delivered to me by others who have visited this marvelous structure.



Finally, there was a beautiful statue named "Gratia Plena" which honors Mary. The statue was created by artist Steven Heilmer who carved it out of a single piece of Carrara marble.



Whether it's a perfect plate of food that offers up healing comfort or a painting that makes me want to dance or architecture that makes me hold my breath, art is moving and inspiring. As we left I turned one last time in an attempt to "capture" the beauty of this piece of art. Like the superstitious beliefs of some tribes it seemed an imposibility to photograph the soul of the Chapel of St. Ignatius.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for continuing to snap your shutter. Our gain. B

    ReplyDelete