Sunday, July 19, 2009

5-spice is so nice


An impromptu Sunday dinner. I was in a foul mood and lacked imagination or inspiration and honestly, money. But that shouldn't stop friends from gathering around the table should it? I decided on the ever-economical chicken but what to do with it. This time I heard a voice in my head (this is not unusual) whispering 5-spice is nice. 5-spice is nice. So, I concocted a rub with 5-spice, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder and a little smokey paprika. I butterflied the whole chicken and rubbed it all over with the spices.

I grilled low and slow for about 45 minutes and held the chicken in a warm oven while I grilled eggplant, sweet onion, zucchini, mushrooms, red and orange sweet peppers. I cut those into bite-size pieces and drizzled with balsamic vinegar.


What's a dinner off the grill without the addition of sweet corn when it's in season? I grilled corn with jalapeno, red onion & sweet red pepper. I cut the corn off of the cob and tossed the grilled ingredients together with the juice of a lime and some fresh, just-picked basil.



My friends brought lovely wines and delightful conversation and we marveled at the view. There were even a couple of hot air balloons to polish off a perfect evening.
Sunday dinner is always the right thing to do.


I call this the sea of evergreens.




1 comment:

  1. I found beautiful leftovers in the fridge this morning. Cold 5-Spice Chicken is my new favorite breakfast food.

    ReplyDelete