Tuesday, April 21, 2009

When things heat up


It’s difficult to miss the looks of elation and anticipation (summer is coming!) on Seattleites’ faces these past few days.

I used to listen to an album (yes, vinyl) when I was in college. It was by a local artist named Brian Bowers. I think he played an autoharp. I was a little blue-grassy at the time. Anyway, there was a song on this album called The View From Home. The lyrics, as I remember them in part, went something like this:

Up north lies Alaska our last true frontier

Out west lies the ocean, and Olympics so near

Back east lies madness, say what you will

Say that I'm a maniac singing on a hill

Out on the road, we tell all the turkeys

Yes, it's always raining and the sun never shines

But all the natives know when the mountain lifts her skirts

The view from home will flat out melt your mind


Even though I’m not so much blue-grassy anymore. I still love that lyric.

When I drive across the I-90 bridge and the waters of Lake Washington literally sparkle against the back drop of a snow-covered Mount Rainier. The view from home does flat-out melt my mind.

 

Warm weather, even if it’s only a few days in a row, beckons us outdoors to dry off our wings. I like to throw together salads to keep in the refrigerator and if the notion to grill something moves me, I am all set for side dishes.

 

I will just say it now. I’m sorry I am TERRIBLE about following recipes. I am of the belief that everyone likes me but I am certain there are things they don't like ABOUT me and not having a recipe handy is one of those things.  So, I am here with an “almost-recipe”. This is a salad I’ve made for years. I have changed it over the years but it remains a favorite.

A little spicy, a hint of  sweetness but certainly summertime comfort food.

I found the original recipe years ago in a cookbook from Pasta & Co. I’ve changed it only slightly over the years. My adult son still asks me to make this for him, even in the winter.

Always use the best ingredients you can afford.

Asian Noodle Salad

1 pkg. Angel Hair Pasta, Cooked according to package directions, drained but not rinsed.

½ cup sesame seeds, toasted

1 cup green onions, sliced thin

 

Dressing:

¼ cup sesame oil

¼ cup Tamari

2 TB sugar

2 TB hot chili oil (less if you’re sensitive to heat)

2 TB Balsamic vinegar or Black vinegar

 

Combine the dressing with the cooked pasta and finish with the sesame seeds and green onions.  Chill & enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment