Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Cinco de Mayo

I remember warmer days in May but this one showed a little playfulness in offering up a myriad of conditions. It rained sideways this morning and the winds (and the wind chimes) were howling a tune in unison. 

It was hard to get excited about anything. Then Nancy mentioned Tequila. hmmmm It is that one day when a well-made margarita, much like a party dress, is just called for. 

I mentioned fish tacos and Nancy trumped me with guacamole and like a couple of hungry, celebration-seeking gringos we waited for the first sign of blue skies and headed out for Whole Foods. 

Armed with all the right ingredients we started a fire in the fire place and like all the Whos in Whoville, we started singing... yahoo doray, yahoo doray (okay, we didn't really sing). But we DID refuse to let the chill sway our resolve to grill fish and make our annual fish tacos. 



And then-as though some cosmic bandoleer-wearing weather warrior moved on our behalf- the sun came out and made our margaritas sparkle.


I'm telling you kids it's true! That's just how it happened! One minute we're warming our hands by the fire and the next- poof! We're peeling off layers of clothing and drinking shiny margaritas! This crazy Pacific Northwest-Don't go trying to figure her out. 

Oh yeah, it's all fun and games until someone tries to eat two of these.

In all honesty, Bruce the big dog came to my rescue and finished the job I started. 
Then, like a true dog-friend, Bruce took us for a walk and we rid ourselves of the self-inflicted pain. 


We strolled down to Lake Washington and marveled at the view. After a day of sideways rain, little warms the body, heart and soul more than the sunshine dancing across the waters of Lake Washington.


We headed up hill towards home and I ran across this beautiful Dogwood tree in bloom. It made me smile.

Then, I ran across this scene that reminded me of both the power and peace of springtime. Just yesterday (before the winds and the sideways rain) these cherry blossoms were enjoying their glorious perch on the brances of the tree. In a day their job was done. And what a lovely exit they made.
There's really no telling what tomorrow will bring. Whatever it is, I hope to embrace it. I think that there can even be beauty in sideways rain! Really!

No comments:

Post a Comment