Friday, May 29, 2009

Steak attack



Etiquette be damned! 

Who, aside from the non-carnivorous among us doesn't love the perfectly grilled ribeye on a warm almost-summer evening? 

 

I had a significant stint in my life, where meat was not a part of my diet. (Then I went to culinary school. Back then they’d have none of that nonsense.)   I am aware that we eat TOO much meat in this country. The truth is that our consumption of meat and gi-normous portions has become so epic that it's difficult to sit down and really wax eloquent about chomping on a big fat ribeye. But I stared that challenge down and got out my wax. 

 

 Now that you know it is with careful conscience that I talk about grilled fatty meat, I must warn the faint of heart to turn away now. Because I'm not protecting anyone and I'm telling it like it is.  Fat is flavor baby. It is! Yeah, yeah, there's flavor elsewhere too. But the subject here is a big-fat ribeye. Not garbanzo beans with harissa. Oh, hold me back. 

 

I have an aunt who I just adore who told me one time that she could hardly keep her hands off of the crispy glazed and cooked fat of a ham. I was floored! Not by what she was saying but that she had the gonads to admit it out loud! Who admits to slicing off a hunk of fat and eating it? That inspired me. I love that kind of in-your-face honesty. I aspire to it. No, she wasn’t overweight and this was YEARS ago and she’s STILL  pretty darn healthy. So there.

 

I’m not insinuating that the food pyramid (as un-balanced as that thing is) should have a new charred fat area or anything. I’m just asking. Has  the all things in moderation guideline  gone by the wayside in order to make room for soy milk and flax seed?  It’s okay isn’t it?  To LIKE the taste of charred fat on a perfectly grilled ribeye? Of course it is!

 

Go ahead, if you must. You Oprah-Dr.Oz-following nay sayers. Cut off those fatty parts and pretend you just enjoyed the perfect steak. I say once a year, thumb your nose at the timid and when the weather is right, fire up the grill and don’t compromise your fat content.

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. "All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat!?' I'm trying to impress people here, Lisa. You don't win friends with salad." Matt Groening

    With love from Bernie's Mom

    ReplyDelete